Wednesday, March 17, 2010

When Time Slows Down


It feels lately that everything I shoot is moving so fast.  Mostly kids, and they never sit, stand, or even sleep still.  Dogs on the other hand sleep still, and a lot. But how many pictures of a sleeping dog do you need.  Catching them out running and jumping is quite a challenge. Even a bit dangerous when the subject is a 60 kg Great Dane puppy (yes...puppy) running full speed directly at you wanting to hurt you play.  

This was the last shot of  8 in a 6fps burst, and only the first and last were in focus.  She was running towards me, fast and close.  I held my hand up to stop her just as she was about to jump me. That fraction of a second between frames slowed down and I could see her coming in the frame perfectly, with the look on her face and the light just right, but it wasn't in focus! I still had the shutter pushed, so I knew it was going to click soon and I'd get another blurry dog, and she wouldn't be there for another shot. After a quick prayer to the Flying Spaghetti Monster I saw my focus catch up and then it clicked.

Time is relative.  And the brains perception of time is very interesting.  It constantly changes to your situation, heightening your awareness when you need it or relaxing when you don't. When you're shooting fast and have a fast moving subject it seem to slow down. On the other side, shooting something at a slower pace, it tends to speed up and all those little details you want to capture go flying by.  I guess the 'trick' here is to train you mind into a constant state or high awareness.   

No comments:

Post a Comment