Monday, March 15, 2010

My First Job...

...is done and complete. I had the opportunity of shooting the images for a restaurant's new website. Nosh Nibble & Cush I was working there as a chef at the time (have moved on now), so I was familiar with the place and the staff. Which, now that I think about it, isn't really a helpful thing. It's kind of like shooting in your own back yard... you've seen it a million times before and it's hard to see something new or in a different perspective. That was my first challenge.

I've never had to deliver on demand before with regards to my photography. I started second guessing myself all the time, thinking about other sites that I've seen, and there is no way I'll be pulling this off. That I'm just a bad joke waiting to be not laughed at.

Here just a quick list of some of the things I've learned doing this job:
*planning is very important
*one prime lens is not limiting (all these were shot with either my 50 1.8, or 28 2.8)
*take lots of pictures, because when you have it, you don't. Even though you might finally pick that first one you shot.
*A tripod and remote release are awesome and will be invaluable.
*Took a crash course in lighting. Rented some strobes and a speedlight which I was able to take home over the weekend to play with. Lots of fun.
*Getting paid to take pictures is a lot harder than taking pictures and not getting paid.

The stress during the shooting period (a week or so, total) instantly turned into relief and happy feelings as soon as it was over and all my images were delivered. The owners knew my level of experience and still hired me anyways. They were very pleased and even impressed with my work. As was the website designer, who is responsible for making my stuff come together smoothly, and creating a wonderful site.

Please check out the website Nosh Nibble & Cush and leave me a comment to let me know what you think. Thanks............................................

No comments:

Post a Comment